The best place to stay in Assisi
So many people ask me where they should stay in Umbria. “Is Assisi a good option or is it too touristic?” is the most common question I get asked. My answer? Assisi is definitely not too touristic, trust me! To tell you the truth, I find Assisi a breath of fresh air. Sure, there are lots of pilgrims coming to see the Basilica of Saint Francis, but Assisi has that authentic Umbrian town vibe, and everything – from the shops to the restaurants – is pretty local. You’ll stumble upon a few tourist traps or two, if you’re not too careful, but that happens pretty much anywhere in the globe. I’m here to help you make your Umbrian experience an unforgettable one, and if you ask me, the first thing that matters when planning my trip somewhere is the accommodation. Am I right?
Now, please oh please don’t be one of those people who comes to Umbria searching for an ultra modern hotel room, with the same tiles and colors you’d find in a hotel in NYC. One of the best things about traveling is immersing yourself in different cultures, styles and homes. And coming to Umbria means staying in B&B or hotels with wood-beamed ceilings, terracotta flooring and beautiful views. Whether you’ve chosen Assisi as your Umbrian base because it’s a charm, or because of its proximity to beautiful Umbrian towns, all I can say is that you’ve made the perfect decision.
Staying in Assisi’s Centro Storico
So back to the original question: where to stay in Assisi? First of all, the centro storico, or historic center, is without a doubt the place you should stay in. Not only will you be able to say goodbye to your car and parking nightmares, you’ll be footsteps away from anything. It’s important to note, however, to be careful not to mix up Santa Maria degli Angeli with Assisi’s historic center. While both are charming, Santa Maria degli Angeli is not as close to the central historic attractions of Assisi. Choosing to stay in the historic center ensures you’re right in the heart of this beautiful Umbrian town, surrounded by its rich history and culture
Luxury Accommodations in Assisi
For those seeking an indulgent stay, Assisi’s luxury accommodations blend historical charm with modern comforts.
- Nun Relais Spa: A transformed nunnery set against the scenic beauty of Mount Subasio, offering a historical spa experience, exquisite rooms, and a restaurant that serves Umbrian culinary delights.
- Borgo Antichi Orti: A 15th-century farm stay offering air-conditioned rooms with modern amenities, mountain views, a swimming pool, and an on-site restaurant, minutes from Basilica di San Francesco.
- Asisium Boutique Hotel: Located in the heart of Assisi, this 4-star hotel offers allergy-free rooms, exceptional dining, and bike rentals for local exploration.
- Via Portica: A luxurious apartment near historical landmarks, providing well-equipped rooms with city views and Italian breakfast, perfect for a rich cultural experience.
Mid-Range Accommodations in Assisi
For a blend of comfort and value, these mid-range accommodations in Assisi offer an authentic experience with modern amenities.
- Palazzo Bozzoni: Boutique apartments with city views, free parking, and bike rentals. The air-conditioned units feature fully equipped kitchens and comfortable living spaces.
- Hotel Il Palazzo: Set in a 16th-century building, strategically positioned in Assisi with elegantly furnished rooms, free WiFi, and some offering views of the Umbria Valley.
- Hotel Sorella Luna: A stone’s throw from the Basilica of San Francesco, this hotel in a 15th-century building offers free WiFi and elegantly decorated rooms.
- Hotel Fontebella: A Renaissance charmer with stunning Umbrian valley views, air-conditioned rooms, and a renowned restaurant offering truffle dishes.
- Suite Eleonora: Air-conditioned accommodation with a balcony, offering a unique stay with a fully equipped kitchen, a flat-screen TV with streaming services, and a terrace with mountain views. An Italian breakfast is available every morning, and guests can enjoy the nearby cycling opportunities or relax in the garden.
- Casa Jasmin con Balcone Panoramico: A sustainable apartment with air-conditioned accommodation, free WiFi, and a terrace. This cozy apartment features a kitchen, flat-screen TV, and a balcony with mountain views. Guests can enjoy an Italian breakfast and the convenience of a family-friendly restaurant on-site.
- Suite Vittoria: Located just minutes from Basilica di San Francesco, this sustainable apartment offers a bar, air conditioning, and free WiFi. The property includes a minimarket, bicycle parking, and a private entrance. An Italian breakfast is served daily, and the family-friendly restaurant specializes in Italian cuisine.
Budget Accommodations in Assisi
Assisi’s budget accommodations provide a comfortable and affordable stay without compromising on the charm and convenience.
- Albergo La Rocca: Located beneath Rocca Maggiore, offering a large terrace with breathtaking views and a restaurant serving local dishes.
- Hotel Posta Panoramic Assisi: A family-run hotel in the historical center with comfortable rooms, some featuring balconies, and a restaurant offering Umbrian cuisine.
- Hotel il Duomo: A 3-star hotel with air-conditioned rooms, free WiFi, and a choice of continental or gluten-free breakfast, located close to key attractions.
- Hotel Berti: Near Saint Francis’ Basilica, this hotel offers a garden for breakfast, renovated rooms with wooden floors, air conditioning, and free Wi-Fi.
What to See and Where to Eat in Assisi
When you’re wondering where to eat in Assisi or what sights to see, we’ve got you covered. Assisi isn’t just a place to find great accommodation; it’s a world of cultural and historical exploration, coupled with an exceptional culinary journey. From the breathtaking Basilica of Saint Francis to the tranquil streets of the historic center, every corner of Assisi is imbued with history and beauty. To navigate through the best local dining spots and must-see landmarks, check out my detailed guide to Assisi and curated list of the best restaurants in Assisi. Enjoy!